Foundation Minutes for Aug. 27, 2019
Rotary Foundation of Media
Minutes – August 27, 2019
Board Members: Walt Woerheide, President; Gary Zebrowski, Treasurer; Larry Smoose, Secretary; Ted Pleibel; Michael Campbell; Cynthia McGoff; Rob Hancock, Past President.
Members present: Ted Pleibel, Larry Smoose, Gary Zebrowski, Walt Woerheide.
The meeting was called to order at 9:12 a.m.
Minutes – The August minutes were approved as presented. (Gary/Ted)
Gary reported that $7,746.68 is available for grants and expenses. This does not count the $1050 from sponsorship checks for Bingo held in reserve. Ted happily presented Gary with a check for $4539.00 for the remainder of the Bingo proceeds, bringing the total received from the March, 2019 bingo to $5589.00. Ted also gave a check for $1825 to Gary representing the District 7450 matching grant for the playground project. Gary will now add the bingo funds and the matching grant money to the available funds line for the next report.
Gary made the following motion: “I move that the Board approve the addition of Walt Woerheide, current Foundation President, as a signer on the Rotary Foundation of Media’s
business account at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union; and also that Dennis Slostad, past Foundation President, be removed as a signer on that same account. Gary Zebrowski, current Foundation Treasurer, will remain as a signer on the account.” The motion carried (Gary/Ted)
Gary noted that we have received $592 in memory of Fran Smith. Ted will send a note to her family noting the donors, as the family requested.
The board voted to receive the Treasurer’s report. (Larry/Ted)
Grant requests – No new requests were received.
- Polio project – Larry and his son, Matt are participating in the Cross Egypt Challenge, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Alexandria Cosmopolitan and are suggesting that it could be a fund-raiser for Polio +. The ride is 1600 miles over 9 days, from October 12-27, which includes world polio day. The only thing the RFM would need to do is put up a site on our club website with an opportunity for donations and then, after the ride is complete, make a report of Rotarian donors to TRF, with non-rotarian donations being reported as a club donation for Polio. The board agreed that it would be good to undertake this and Ted will talk with Virginia about setting up the donation site while Larry will send her the flyer that he made.
- Walt received a letter from the Great Valley Rotary Club with an update on the Project C.U.R.E. shipment of medical goods to Sri Lanka. The container has been shipped and so far all is well.
- The Center Foundation grant request was continued until the next meeting.
- Rotary Foundation of Media Circle of Donors (nothing for this meeting).
- Fall Bingo Fundraiser – Larry said that he is working on sponsorships and is waiting to determine to whom the ad content should be sent. Gary noted that our new member, Blaire has been working hard on social media and with our move back to Media, we anticipate a successful event. Walt said the he will look into an electronic version of bingo that can be projected onto a screen, rather than borrow and move the VFW machine.
- Shelter Box –The Board approved the second year of our “Hero’s” category commitment last year to provide $1000 a year to Shelter Box. (Gary/Larry)
The meeting adjourned at 9:48 a.m.
NEXT MEETING: October 22, 9:00 a.m. at the Court Diner