- This week Jennifer LaVelle
- Jennifer is a disabled vet who has a working dog, Blaze, and now trains working dogs. She will share her story and what she is doing to help people.
- Math Tutoring Program
- Unity Center Early Childhood Education for Stetser Elementary School
Volunteer Programs and Training for Rotarians, Rotary Club of Media
- Reading Mentoring Program
- Focusing on literacy development. To work with second through fifth grade students demonstrating the most need.
Mentors will come once or twice a week. Each student will be mentored twice a week using library books and the Accelerated Reader Program. The mentors will go to the library with the child and assist with book selection matching reading level, genre, and interests. They will work in the Library or return to the Mentoring area to work on vocabulary development, reading strategies (decoding, etc.), comprehension, and fluency.
Mentors will receive 3 hours of training in reading strategies and an overview of Accelerated Reader. Training will be provided by school Reading Specialist and the Principal.
- Math Tutoring Program
- Focusing on math achievement. Tutors will work with second through fifth grade students demonstrating the most need.
Tutors will come once or twice a week. Students will be tutored in groups of one or two twice a week using math strategies designed to develop greater understanding in problem solving skills.
Tutors will receive training in math strategies and an overview of Math Standards and expectations. Training will be provided by one of school teachers and the Principal.
- Science Support Program
- Developing a robust science curriculum. To work with our Pre-K through sixth grade students in a hands-on science program.
Partners will come once a week and will support a class in inquiry-based science. Provide an extra pair of hands, suggestions, technical assistance, or lab support based on comfort level and background. The classroom teacher will be present at all times and will take full responsibility for classroom management.
Science Partners will receive training in inquiry-based science strategies, the Earth Force Model, and an overview of Science Standards and expectations. Training will be provided by Dr. Nadine McHenry, Director, Science Learning Center, Widener University and the Principal.
- For more information
- See Govinda Malya for more information.
- Attendance Policy
- The Board voted to move back to our existing policy starting July 1. This means we will be going back to a 50% attendance policy with ample opportunity to make up if you miss a meeting. A copy of the policy will be provided in next week’s email. If you have any questions please reach out to Rob Hancock at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to be part of the Communications Committee, don’t hesitate to reach out! We’d love to have you.